Monday, July 16, 2007

A sense of community

With being off work during the day now, I'm really noticing how much of a sense of community there is in Sydenham. I did know this anyway, just from watching people greet each other on the bus, but it's much more apparent now that I see the "daytime" people going about their business.

The post office this morning was all bustle, but I was the only person in the queue who wasn't chatting to whoever was next to them. The women behind the counter seemed to know everybody, and the one who dealt with me was very friendly and chatty. Next I went to the bakery for a couple of sausage rolls, and watched the woman in front of me chat with the staff like they were old friends. After that I took a quick trip to the Mace across the road, and again everybody seemed to know each other. It felt like a real community, and I liked that feeling. I love being able to walk down the road and nod hello to familiar faces, or even talk to them. It doesn't matter that we don't really know each other - it's just the sense that everyone belongs here. It's not something I experienced at all while living in south Belfast, before I bought my house here - I suppose having such a transient student population kills any chance of that community feeling building up. I can see why residents of areas such as the Holy Lands are so upset at what has happened to what was once their community...

No comments: