Sunday, July 08, 2007

Help My Baby Live site outed as a hoax

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon this site, Help My Baby Live. The idea is that a young cash-strapped couple are saying they'll abort their baby unless we, the public, give them enough money to bring it up properly. They are asking for $50,000 - as I write, the site lists $13,200 in donations and has 70 days left before time runs out.

Snopes has now listed it as a hoax. I don't know how they came to that decision, because there really isn't any proof either way, but it certainly smells like a hoax to me. Even if it is for real there is something terribly wrong with the whole setup. I hope that people will stop donating to them now (if they really have been), because even if it is for real and there really is some couple out there who are using their foetus as emotional blackmail, they should be ostracized on general principles, not helped out with money for nothing.

As an aside, I am watching Britain's Next Top Model, and one of the hopefuls has "Queen Bitch" tattooed on her leg. Why would anyone do that?!

No comments: