Saturday, July 14, 2007

It gets worse

I just got a letter through the door - a heart-felt plea from the woman and little girl asking to please try and get Freyja back. There were drawings of her and heart shapes and their address and phone number.

Obviously I can't take the cat back now that she is settled and happy in her new home (and she is happy - I checked - she is chasing pigeons up trees and coming back in to be pampered when she's tired), so I called round to their house to tell them to give up hope. There was nobody home, but I left a little framed picture of Freyja for them to remember her by. Then I phoned the woman to tell her that the cat wasn't coming back. She started to cry! I feel so guilty, even though I couldn't have known that this would happen. She said that it was the first time that her daughter had experienced having a pet, and they both loved Freyja, and they couldn't even say goodbye because they didn't know she was going away.

I can't believe I made a complete stranger cry, and no doubt her daughter too. I feel awful.

2 comments:

Phil said...

This whole problem could quite possibly be solved if the mother would actually just buy a kitten for her daughter and her sense of loss can be transferred to love for her new pet.

Have you suggested they get their own cat?

Jenny said...

I haven't seen them again since. But hopefully they will get a pet of their own once they're ready for it. It'd be much better though if they (a) waited until they were ready for a pet of their own, rather than just replacing Freyja, and (b) rescued an adult cat from a shelter. Adults are much harder to place than kittens, because they're not as cute to start with. I was lucky to find homes for my two so quickly.