Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I need a project plan

Sad as it seems, I have come to realise that I need a project plan. Yes, a proper one, with Gantt charts and everything, otherwise I won't get anything done this summer.

A day or two ago I took a quick look on the net for project planners that were easy to use (I have bad bad bad memories of Microsoft PWA from when I was gainfully employed) and more importantly free. For now I am using iTeamwork, which is fairly basic but does the job. No Gantt charts, but otherwise it keeps me on track! I can add projects with sub-tasks and it reminds me of what I'm supposed to be doing when I log in each morning. I'm the sort of person who needs to do lots of small things that can be ticked off as I go, rather than one mammoth task, so it really does help to break things down in a visual form like this.

Thanks to the beauty of the project plan, I've been more productive for the last two days than for the last two weeks. More packing boxes have been bought, more stuff has been packed, more stuff has been binned, I joined the gym and actually visited it, and I even made good headway learning Cyrillic. I can now pronounce and understand words like and . The first one might come in more useful if we get to Russia and I want to order some wine, but if I want to discuss any actresses while we're there I'll need the other one too!

No comments: