Monday, August 20, 2007

Star light, star bright...

...I saw thousands of stars tonight.



In a bid to regain my sanity, I left the laptop at home while we took a trip Home - i.e. to my parents' house in Co.Wexford. It is my dad's 60th birthday during the week, so the whole family turned up for a bit of a celebration. It poured rain almost the whole 200 miles yesterday when we were driving down, and my car is giving trouble too (it'll have to be looked at by a mechanic before we drive back to Belfast), so we were pretty glad to arrive in one piece. But we had a lovely family meal yesterday evening, and today the sun came out. Blue skies above and t-shirts and sandals below! It was lovely.

Tonight was the most gorgeous clear night too, and when we got back from the cinema just before midnight I went out with my camera to snap some star shots. Unfortunately I didn't have a tripod with me, or a remote control, but they still give a good sense of just how bright the sky is right now.

Check out the Plough too, behind the trees - it looks like somebody has a row of LEDs up there! I know that was partly because of the way I took the photo, but it still looks pretty cool. Skry and I spent ages out the front of my parents' house looking up at the Milky Way and trying to spot satellites (we saw three) and shooting stars (he saw one). I just wish we had a telescope!

1 comment:

Skry said...

I'm so gonna get you out somewhere that you can see your first really good shooting star. Usually they're a quick flash in the sky, but sometimes they can be several seconds long and I heard one that was so bright and burnt so low that, a few seconds later, you could hear it burning up. Made a noise a bit like a scream mixed with a car braking heaviny. Brilliant!

That was a really good night though and I'm so glad that you managed to get pictures of the sky, even if they were a bit blurry. Then again your camera was bought for taking photo's of bands at gigs, so you got good use out of it for this!