Monday, August 06, 2007

etsy

A couple of months back I opened an etsy shop (etsy is an American site for selling handmade goods). Back then it was for greetings cards and tote bags, but now it has morphed into a jewellery shop. I love the etsy layout, and how I can have multiple photos of the same item. I also really like the way other users can "heart" items or shops if they like them, and the shop owner can then see what items are most popular. I wish I could get software like that behind my own shop, because it is so much slicker, but I don't know how to write something like that and have it tie in with Paypal.

There is also the problem that etsy is really aimed at Americans, even though many people from the UK use the site too, so everything is priced in American dollars. Not only is the exchange rate awful for them at the moment (US$5 = £2.45), but I'm competing with similar sellers who are able to offer cheap or even free shipping because they are all in the same country. Unfortunately there isn't a way around that until etsy becomes truly international, but right now I am underpricing my items there and probably taking a loss on postage just to keep my prices competitive.

Anyway, check out my etsy site if you want. Even the banner below has been provided by them, so it's all very slick indeed!

Etsy: Your place to buy & sell all things handmade
lareine.etsy.com

No comments: