Thursday, August 09, 2007

The painting begins

What a day. Skry and I spent the morning boxing and clearing the rest of the living room, piled everything into the middle and threw a plastic sheet over it, and got ourselves down to B&Q for paint. (We came home with a new bistro set as well, but I am not allowed put it out in the garden until after the living room is done.)

Having equipped ourselves with the required tools and colours, the games began. First off was a fresh coat of paint on the ceiling - troublesome for me, since I couldn't see any difference between the existing white paint and what I was applying. Should've got that Dulux stuff that starts off bright pink, so you can see where you've put it... Of course, one might also venture the opinion that if the ceiling was already white, it made no sense to paint it again, but that opinion didn't get me anywhere earlier and the fresh coat went on anyway. Ceiling done, it was time to slap some magnolia paint on the walls in a bid to achieve that neutral look that estate agents keep telling us will sell well. We'll be getting neutral coloured carpets too, but that'll be a bit further down the line. I did "brighten" things up a bit by putting a light brown paint on the back of the alcoves beside the chimney, which looks very fetching, but I don't think we'll be winning any style awards.

I still have to do the skirting boards, but Skry has now gone out for a run with the Hash House Harriers, so I have taken a well deserved break. The items below may be playing a part!


(That's a red onion in a string bag in the bowl, in case you were wondering.)

No comments: