Saturday, September 01, 2007

Wigging Out

This week's flash-in-the-pan obsession has been with wigs. I get these obsessions regularly - they burn bright and fast and wink out in a week or two. It makes life fun, and I learn loads about whatever it is I'm obsessing about, although I do also spend quite a bit of money and end up with more things in the house than I have storage space for.

Anyway, this week it is wigs. For some reason I decided that I wanted one, so the research and shopping began. The shopping part was easy enough to begin with: eBay. The research part was more interesting. I have learnt so much about wig wearing in the last few days. For the record, the biggest hits that I found for wig wearers on Google were:
- chemotherapy patients
- alopecia sufferers (and other sufferers of conditions that lead to complete hair loss due to medical reasons)
- judges in the British court system
- men in drag

I felt kind of guilty surfing for frivolous fun wig-wearing information when I kept coming up against people who really need them. I know several people who have lost their hair because of chemo and I can't imagine how they felt about it. I seem to remember that my uncle had alopecia too at one point but I can't remember how much hair he lost - it's just a memory tucked away in the back of my head somewhere. But it is heartening to read how much women's lives in particular have improved when they have got a hairstyle back, even if their own hair has fallen out. And it's sweet to read about the cross-dressers and how much it means to them to be able to pass as a woman because their hair looks good.

Anyway. Wigs come in the obviously-fake fun type, like the bright blue or tinsel types you see on people at parties, and the ones that want to look like real hair. Of the latter, the two types are real human hair and synthetics. You might think that real human hair is superior, but not necessarily so! The very best type of human wig hair is from undyed, unprocessed, European hair, particularly from people such as Italian peasants (apparently) who take great care of their hair but do not use chemicals on it. Eastern European hair is also popular, probably because the people share a similar makeup. Actually that last is just a guess, but Italian and Romanian are so similar - both Romance languages - that there was obviously a link between those two countries anyway, so why not a shared hair heritage? The wig hair can have the cuticles stripped off it so it doesn't tangle, which is a benefit, and of course if it's human hair it can be styled in the usual ways, with straightening irons, curlers, perms, whatever.

Synthetic wig hair is surprisingly realistic these days. Not your common-or-garden joke shop wig hair, of course, but the stuff that is designed to pass as natural. And it doesn't need to be styled, either - if you buy a wig with flowing waves, or tight curls, or poker straight, it'll stay that way when it's washed. No faffing around with styling tools and hairspray. Bonus!

I've been going mad on eBay ordering various styles from various ranges. The first few that I ordered were the cheapest available on eBay (99p for the wig, plus £10 postage from Hong Kong). They haven't arrived yet, so you'll just have to wait and see what they turn out like. I also ordered some more expensive ones that were almost certainly the cheap ones from Hong Kong, but with the benefit of being sold by a woman just a few miles away from here. I asked if I could get my purchase in time for the weekend, and her husband delivered the parcel in person at our house this morning! Now that's good customer service. And I got a "bargain" - not cheap, but way cheaper than retail price - on a top of the range long-haired synthetic wig that should be here by the middle of next week. I'll be interested to see what the difference is between them all as far as quality, comfort, and believeability go.

Here is a picture of me (couple of tangles, but I was too lazy to re-take it once I realised the problem) in the one that I wore to lunch today as a laugh. I think I look pretty good in it!
Maybe in a few days I'll look back on this and go, "Wow, that looks awful. What was I thinking?!", but for the moment I'm happy. I feel very glam with these flowing locks right down my back.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it! When I lost my hair I bought a wig and a lot of people didn't even know that I had lost my hair!
Take pics of yourself in each wig!
Love,
Debby
PS - Awesome news on Skry's visa! So when do you guys leave for New Zealand?

Jenny said...

Oh Debby, I could really use you here now. I need a project manager or something to help get this house ready to be sold. You would be wonderful for the job! I am awful at this stuff - I hate making phone calls, and I procrastinate about everything, and now we are more than a month behind schedule. We were meant to be moving in October; it will be at least November now, if not later.

But back to the wigs. I have lots more coming to me from eBay in the next week or so, and I will make sure to blog about them. I can really appreciate how much easier they make the job of looking good at a moment's notice!

Anonymous said...

HATE the blonde wig. I think it doesn't look as good as the other one because it is too light with your dark eyebrows. Also, I think you need bangs like I do since we both have broad forheads. You can always dye your eyebrows blonde and then cut bangs into the wig:) As for the house sale, I am more than happy to help you out from here if you can just let me know what the problems are that you need solved. Organization is my strong suit so tell me what needs to be done and I'll put together a project plan for you and then threaten you with being fired if you don't follow through:)
Love,'Debby

Skry said...

Hee hee I agree with you re the wig Debby. Jen asked me what the blonde one was like on her and I said:

"With the red lip stick, you look a bit like a hooker!" :P

We had a good laugh about it, but I think we both know the blonde one will be for fancy dress parties only. The others look grand on her though and she's already been out with work mates, to the shops and other daily things with them on and no one has suspected.

In fact at a birthday on Saturday when she uncliped her hair expension at the back (a fake pony-tail type of thing) everyone was pretty shocked as no one had seen it coming! :D