Monday, November 19, 2007

From Gorey to Derry, and points in between.


I am not long home from a lot of travel. It's that time of year, where we are going round our friends and relatives that we won't see for a while, saying cheerio.

First of all, Skry and I took the bus to Gorey on Thursday to see my family. We bussed it because my eyesight still isn't great at night, and I was scared to drive in case we got stuck in traffic or otherwise delayed and it got dark while we were still travelling, because I would have just had to pull in on the side of the road until daybreak. Not ideal! So, it was public transport all the way. We travelled to Dublin in a very nice Bus Eireann coach, with loads of leg room, seats that reclined back far enough to feel like we were almost lying down, and very few fellow passengers. After meeting my sister in Busaras, we travelled from there on to Gorey in a clapped-out Bus Eireann coach, with minimal leg room, narrow seats, and every place filled. It wasn't quite as luxurious as the first leg of the journey!

However, we did make it to our destination in a mere six hours or so, and were collected and taken home to the farm. It was really good to see everybody. My mum had made a special meal for us - roast chicken, vegetables, mashed and chipped potatoes, and all the trimmings, and a vegetarian quiche for Skry. It was lovely - thanks Mum! My brother and sisters had all come home for the night, and we had a really enjoyable evening chatting and just hanging out together.

The next day there was a lunch of tasty left-overs and some family photographs before Skry and I headed on. It was a bit emotional, because I don't know when we'll be in Wexford next or when I will see my family again, but we tried to keep it cheerful. New Zealand isn't as far away as it used to be, and with the internet and e-mail they'll probably see more of me after we move than they do right now.

My brother drove us up to Wicklow (stopping off at Avoca Handweavers on the way, where I picked up a lovely purple mohair throw) and Skry and I spent a couple of hours in Greystones with my granny and uncles. That was good too - I don't see them very often, and my granny always makes me laugh. She has now got the address of this blog in her Favourites so I hope she reads it at some point.

After saying another round of goodbyes, it was off to the Dart station and thence to Dublin to get our bus back to Belfast.

The next day, I was on the bus again, this time up to Derry to see my friend Wendy. I don't see her very often either, and it's always good to meet up. We had a nice night in the house, stuffing ourselves silly on crisps and Indian take-away, and I felt like I was in a hotel with the lovely comfy bed, and all the breakfast food that was plied on me this morning. I've never gone hungry when I've stayed in Derry!

No comments: