Saturday, December 20, 2008

Perfume


I love perfume, and have done so for as long as I can remember. But I used to content myself with a couple of different bottles and the occasional scent strip from Boots. Not any more!

Over the last couple of days I have ordered several new bottles on the internet, and it occurred to me that I didn't know how many I owned already. My guess was about 30. Oops - it is over 50, and that's not counting samples and decants. They don't all get worn on a regular basis (in fact there are a couple there that I don't even like) but I keep everything because it will get its turn to shine sometime in the future even if I don't wear it right now. My taste has evolved over the years, and some perfumes just work better in warm weather or in cold weather.

Boudoir is the one that I would choose to keep if I could only have one. It is as close to a "signature scent" as I can imagine having. But it's nice to have a selection to choose from every day :-)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is dreadful, Jen! I can't believe I have bred such a decadent daughter.

Jenny said...

Very decadent indeed in this area! But it doesn't hurt anyone and I smell great :)

You would be amazed by the perfume collections of some internet friends of mine. A couple of them actually have special storerooms devoted to their treasures, which are worth many thousands of dollars. It's like being an art collector in many ways.

Anonymous said...

WOW, Jen, that's quite a collection!!!!

I am too scared to buy perfume online in case it turns out to be fake- where did you get it? I know you're like me and love a bargain!

Jenny said...

I get a lot of mine from FragranceX.com - they are doing free international shipping at the moment! It's an American site so a bit more expensive than usual at the moment thanks to the exchange rate, but their stuff is really good. I used to buy from FragranceDirect.co.uk when we lived in Belfast.

Sometimes I buy from eBay or TradeMe as well and have had some bargains, but that's much more risky. Still, it's worth a shot for something unavailable elsewhere!

Anonymous said...

I see you have Organza by Givenchy there. I really hated it at first, but found that it warmed up really nicely and smelt gorgeous after about an hour. I'm still saddened that Libertine by Vivienne Westwood has been discontinued, but I agree that Boudoir is gorgeous also. I can't help noticing that all your bottles are out of their boxes, was that for photographic purposes?

Jenny said...

That's actually Organza Indecence, which is rather hard to find now (I think it might have been discontinued, not sure) but I like it a lot better than ordinary Organza. Give it a try if you get the chance.

A lot of my bottles didn't come in boxes (testers and such), and some of the boxes that I did get were so large that I just chucked them. Everything is kept in a cool dark drawer most of the time unless I'm actually using it, so the boxes aren't really required anyway. I just hauled them out for photographic purposes and then put them away again :)

Jenny said...

PS The boxes that are in the photo do all have perfume bottles inside them. Not sure if you thought maybe I had shown both bottle and box for a few of them but that's not the case.

laura said...

I'm very impressed! And I thought I was a tad indulgent with my 12 or so bottles :)