Friday, December 05, 2008

A full year in New Zealand

Yes folks, we have now been here for a full calendar year. It has been an amazing year - saying goodbye to friends and family, travelling, new jobs, new house, making friends on this side of the world - and we have loved nearly every minute of it. (The jetboat crash we could have done without!)

It would be impossible to describe all the memorable things that happened to us over the last 12 months, but I would like to share just one photo that helps summarise it in my head.

This was taken in Bluff, at the very far south of the South Island. Look how far away from everywhere we are! But look how happy I am!
Actually I am squinting a bit as the sun was in my eyes - but trust me, I was happy. Moving here has been one of the best decisions I ever made. Our quality of life has gone up, our surroundings and lifestyle are generally better, and this country has some of the most beautiful landscapes I have ever seen or imagined. No country is perfect, and New Zealand has its problems just like everywhere else, but Skry and I absolutely love it here.

Here's to a great year, and to many more great years in the future!

2 comments:

laura said...

Interesting fact: the sign in Cape Reinga says it's 1475km to Bluff - I'm not sure which one is wrong!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad life is so good in NZ- hope the new house will bring many more happy years. I hope very much that we can visit you one day.