Thursday, December 25, 2008

A chicken update

On Christmas Eve the chickens got a holiday feast of bacon scraps left over from a meal earlier in the week. I'm not sure of the correct approach to feeding chickens meat - is it the done thing? I know they eat insects anyway and they are definitely not vegetarians by choice, but I don't want to recreate the whole Mad Cow problem by giving them something unnatural. (Not that chickens eating pork is ever going to be natural, really. How many chickens would have to band together to take down a pig?)



They have a new extended run which is almost complete apart from some minor work to the original henhouse layout, and seem fairly content in there. It has some bushes and a tree, and did have grass as well up to about a week ago. They made short work of that, so the ground is looking a bit bare, but if it rained more often I'm sure a few things would grow back.

I do feel a bit guilty about leaving them locked up all the time, but I know they've got more space than most of their kind and are very well treated generally. We are getting three eggs a day at the moment, including some with soft shells and some with double yolks. The eggs taste great and have really yellow yolks, so my egg mayo sandwiches for work have become very colourful recently. It's all good.

No comments: