Sunday, April 27, 2008

More adventures in wigs

I took the plunge about a week ago and wore my newest wig to work. A few of my colleagues knew that I wore wigs sometimes but none of them had ever seen me in one.

I was the first person into the office on the morning in question, and I sit near the door, so everybody saw me as soon as they arrived. Every single person who knows me by name stopped to ooh and aah over my gorgeous new hairstyle. This included all the men as well as the women - and you know how rare it is for men to notice a change of hairstyle! I freely admitted that it was a wig, because I know I'll be going back to my usual hair and also switching to other wig styles when I feel like it, and everyone was really shocked. Nobody had suspected that it was anything other than a really expensive salon job.

Several of the women asked if they could touch it, and were all very impressed by how realistic the hair felt (and this is just a synthetic non-mono, nothing fancy). And my boss asked for a photo of the colour so she could ask her hairstylist to match it! Throughout the whole day I was bombarded with compliments, which has never happened when I've changed my hairstyle before.

Nobody appeared to think that I'm terribly strange for wearing a wig, and quite a few people seemed openly envious of how easy and cheap it was for me to achieve a look that would be very difficult and expensive to get with my bio hair. And now that I've come clean, I can wear whatever style I want! I've already ordered a blonde version of the one pictured here, so you can look forward to seeing me as a blonde bombshell whenever that arrives. Or perhaps I won't show you at all, if it looks awful...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The wig in the picture looks great on you.

I'm keen to try wearing them, but not sure where to start. Pictures on the internet can be deceptive. Can you recommend any specific brands that look and feel natural?

Jenny said...

Glad you like it!

I get my wigs here:
http://www.joshua24.com/products/wigs/

They have a great returns policy so there's no problem with trying something and not liking it. I think there's a restocking fee if you're just returning something, but if you're returning something and getting something else instead you just pay the postage.

My favourite brand is Rene of Paris (the same manufacturer makes Noriko and Amore, which I also like), but I might try some other brands soon.

Anonymous said...

I really love Rene of Paris wigs and hairpieces too they are so natural and cute. You look gorgeous in the photo. Its funny how people get so surprised. Can you get Rene of Paris Wigs sent from Joshua.com to NZ or did you get them in NI/
Cheers Rachel2

Jenny said...

That website (which seems to have rebranded itself as http://www.wigs.md) will ship worldwide. It takes a week or two for international shipping, but it is well worth it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info Jenny. I will order one and let you know how I get on.