Sunday, April 06, 2008

Convertible Dress

While looking for something else last week, I saw a dress for sale which touts itself as the ultimate black dress - a dress that can be worn in many different styles, for many different occasions. It's not a new idea - there was a similar dress around in the 70s - but it seems to be in fashion at the moment. Although this sounded like a great idea, I wasn't keen to spent $300 on a piece of clothing, so I went online and looked at alternatives.

Having found a tutorial for making a similar dress, I headed to the fabric shop and picked up four metres of stretchy black material for $32, and got to work. Cutting out the pieces was dead easy - a circle of fabric for the skirt, two long wide bands, and a small narrow band. Because this sort of fabric doesn't fray, I didn't bother hemming any of the edges, so there are only two seams necessary - one to complete the circle and one to attach everything else to the circle. This should have been a doddle, but unfortunately my sewing machine threw a wobbler at the thought of sewing anything with a bit of bounce to it, and kept skipping stitches. I think I need a finer needle for this sort of work, so that it doesn't move the fabric down but pokes right through it. Anyway, I ended up hand-stitching everything, which is a bit frustrating but meant I was able to get cracking straight away.

Having assembled everything, it was time to figure out how to wear the thing. I haven't done this very successfully so far - I can twist it into lots of lovely styles, but most of them involve an awful lot of bare back, which isn't very practical if there's a bra underneath.

Anyway, here is today's style, which I will be wearing out later. If it all stays in place I might even try this in the office tomorrow. We haven't got our washing machine sorted out yet as we have to get a plumber to attach it, and I am running out of clean clothes, so something new would solve that problem!


Convertible dress - front:
Convertible dress - back (sorry about the crooked sleeves, didn't notice those at the time):For $32 and an hour's work I am pretty happy with it. I wouldn't have got anything more wearable for $300!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I salute you for even trying, but it looks great! Well done!