Thursday, December 06, 2007

Tokyo, Day 4

Let's go backwards in time now while I tell you about our last day in Tokyo, which was two days ago. After checking out of our hostel and enjoying yet another Starbucks breakfast (I'm getting a bit tired of the strange bean things they put in the chicken sandwiches, but the green tea frappuccinos are lovely), we headed off to Harajuku to pimp out my Nintendo DS. Skry had already got stickers for his, but I hadn't wanted anything for mine until well after we left the toy shop two days previously, so we had to go back.

Having accidentally gotten off the subway at a more distant station than we expected, we enjoyed another walk through Meiji Jingu before getting my Hello Kitty stickers and departing. Next stop was a return visit to the 45th floor observatory in the government tower at Tachomae. We had already been there but the weather was dismal and the views were non-existent, so we went back in the sunshine for a better look.
After that, there was nothing for it but a final return to the hostel to pick up our suitcases before boarding what turned out to not be an express train to the airport. We arrived at 5.30pm for a 6.30pm flight, which was cutting it way too fine - we were the last people to check in - but we made it on time. I even had the opportunity to browse for yet more strange and fantastic foodstuffs!

All in all, we really enjoyed our trip to Japan, brief as it was. I'd love to go back sometime, hopefully armed with a bit more Japanese language ability next time. I'd done some Pimsleur lessons before leaving Ireland, and was able to say a few basic things like Please, Thank you, and Excuse me, but I'd like to be able to understand more of what people are saying. Next time we're there I'll be better prepared!

No comments: