Thursday, December 13, 2007

A change in the weather

It rained on and off for a lot of today, which is almost a relief after the blazing heat of the last couple of days. It's still very warm indoors, but at least the air outside has freshened up. Skry and I headed into town this morning to find a cybercafe. There are several in the centre of town that all charge about $3/hour to use their computers, but wireless seems less common. The one place that we found with affordable wireless access charged $6/hour to sit indoors and $5/hour to sit anywhere outside that was within range. We chose the latter, and spent the next hour on a park bench in a shady corner, taking turns on the laptop and watching the world go by. The world today is busy putting up Christmas decorations, it seems. I only had my mobile phone with me to take pictures, but I took a few snaps of the tram, the cathedral, and the Christmas tree in the process of being decorated. I'm well aware that we haven't done any sightseeing in Christchuch yet and I will rectify that, but these few days are for practicalities more than touring about.

After checking on any urgent email, updating bank account details, making credit card payments, and checking the news headlines, our 60 minutes was up, and my laptop battery was almost dead, so I didn't get to update my blog. This has led to a change of approach - I am going to write the blog entries as the mood strikes me, and upload everything at once whenever we have access.

While we were in town I also joined the city library, and we picked up a new SIM for Skry (which, annoyingly, doesn't work with his old Orange-locked handset), before enjoying a hearty lunch and heading back to Phil and Lou's. It's so handy that they are living within walking distance of the town centre - I don't have to attempt to park The Beast anywhere busy!

1 comment:

Skry said...

As you can see, in the sunny weather I usually wear trousers. That explains my tanned face, tanned arms and pasty white legs. I'm hoping to get them some sun soon, but at the moment I'm quite happy to have not been burnt to a crisp, which usually happens!