Saturday, September 13, 2008

Houses on the move

This is nothing to do with us, but something I noticed while browsing online for houses for sale, a few weeks back. It is not unheard of for people here in New Zealand to buy a house and then actually move the house to a different place. I'm not talking about mobile homes, but actual houses. I suppose it's possible because many houses here are made of frames sitting on piles, rather than bricks sitting on concrete foundations. The house is actually picked up, loaded on a trailer, and trundled along the road to its new location. Puts a whole new spin on the idea of "moving house", doesn't it?!

For example, here is a listing that I just plucked from TradeMe, the NZ equivalent of eBay.


I suppose it is more practical than knocking a house down just because it's in the wrong place. As the owner of this house did, you can just split it in two and put the pieces in storage until the right place becomes available!

Just another example of "things we find noteworthy" in our new country, I suppose...

No comments: