Sunday, September 14, 2008

Digging the veggie patch

Up until today, our veggie patch was a mass of weeds, so thick that the soil wasn't even visible. But no more! Our friends Fiona and Richard volunteered their services, and today the four of us transformed that week patch into something that is actually fit to grow vegetables in.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to take a proper "before" photo, as I was in Countdown buying some food for breakfast when the other three got stuck in to the work. (And there is some weirdness going on with Blogger and I can't get it to link to the full size photos like I usually do. I'll edit this post if I find out what's wrong.) But you can see the density and height of the weeds, which covered every inch of the entire area, here:


With the weeds finally removed, the ground was dug over:


Fiona had an interesting technique for getting the spade into the ground - jump on it!



After several hours, the whole thing was looking great.


The team - Richard, Fiona, me, and Skry. We did a great day's work, and everybody felt very pleased with themselves by the end of it.

Now we just need some plants to put in it...



1 comment:

Skry said...

That was quite a lot of fun actually. I'm really itching to get planting there now!

Thanks Fiona and Richard - the help you gave us was amazing :D