Thursday, March 20, 2008

Foil shamrocks - a threat to New Zealand biosecurity

In the post today we received a lovely St.Patrick's Day greeting card from my parents, decorated with some small foil shamrocks. For reasons best known to MAF, it was flagged as a potential thread to the nation, and treated as a biohazard. How bizarre. I wonder what damage they thought was going to be caused by fake plant life?




(By the way, the rip in the envelope was from me opening it, not MAF. They were very neat. I wonder, did they steam it open?)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It must have caused quite a commotion at customs..."We've got a live one!!!! Bring the kettle!!!"

I'm sure they had all their top people working on it. :-D

Anonymous said...

Mad. It's a good job they didn't post live foxes and rabid badgers.

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome. Doesn't bode well for me bringing Fireblade into the country though!

Skry said...

Fireblade - great name! :D