Sunday, October 21, 2007

My 33rd birthday.

On Thursday it was my birthday, bringing me to the ripe old age of 33. I'm definitely a grown-up now. Skry took me out for lunch in Benedict's, where we partook of soup and sandwiches, and I spent the afternoon lying on the sofa reading the first Harry Potter book on my new Sony Reader, a very generous present to me from myself. It wasn't cheap, but I think I'll get a lot of value from it and it'll certainly help cut down on the weight of books I take away on holidays!

When evening rolled around it was time to get ourselves to Tao for dinner. A small crew of my friends met us there and we had great Chinese food and plenty of wine, and I got some lovely presents too. Tao is fantastic - the food is always good, the staff are always friendly, and it's Bring Your Own so the bill is always low too! Not that I had to worry about that part, since my generous friends paid for my dinner.

Following dinner, it was off to Lavery's for a few games of pool in the upstairs bar, then down to the bottom bar where we commandeered a table until closing time. Everyone seemed to have a lot of fun and it was also great to be able to (a) sit down, and (b) hear each other. I'm definitely too old to want to spend an evening standing in some overcrowded club with the music up to the level of a pneumatic drill. Seated and sedate is best!

Some of my birthday presents from Skry arrived in the post today - boxed sets of DVDs, including Buffy season 6 and Firefly. There are more sets to come, so we will have lots to watch over the next while. We're still waiting for the kitchen doors and worktop to be delivered, so the house still isn't on the market and we are just killing time at the moment. I can't think about it too much or I start to get really annoyed, but hopefully it will all come together before too long.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Can't believe you're 33 - you're ancient, Jen!! Time flies!