Saturday, March 14, 2009

Things New Zealand doesn't have (Part 3)

New Zealand doesn't have Boots. It doesn't have anything even close to Boots, not in Christchurch anyway.

Boots is the Mecca of one-stop-shopping for all toiletries, cosmetic items, and perfume. The main branch in Belfast had aisle after aisle of just about every brand I could think of and every product I could imagine for primping, preening, and prettifying oneself. And it had a loyalty scheme as well as great offers for free gifts with purchase, or buy-one-get-one, or buy-one-get-1000-points. I was the mistress of going in with a fiver and coming out with an armful of goodies thanks to clever use of my Advantage Card. And I really miss it!

Having said that, I am spending a lot less money now that I don't have this sort of shopping available to me. And it is possible to find some Boots brand stuff in the shops here (I've seen a lot of Sanctuary range for sale in Postie+ and some Natural Collection bits and pieces in the local chemist's). So it's not all bad!

1 comment:

laura said...

We *should* have Boots. Boots is awesome. The closest we have is probably the beauty section in Farmers. But then that doesn't do medicines, so it's not the same at all really.

It makes no sense that they haven't ventured here. They have Boots in Thailand. And whilst I can't remember if they have Boots in Australia, this side of the world is definitely an untapped market.

P.S. We should also have Quorn here too. I am really revelling in your recent blog entries. You should take your thoughts to the government.