Saturday, February 28, 2009

Things New Zealand doesn't have (Part 2)

New Zealand does not have Quorn. Shops aren't allowed to import it because MAF objects to its origins.

Quorn is a meat substitute, made from some sort of mushroom product. My husband is a vegetarian and I don't like many vegetables, so we struggle to eat healthy meals together and usually end up making two versions of something, or eating totally different things. Quorn enabled us to eat things like lasagne, spag bol, chicken stir fry, beef and black bean sauce - I could barely tell that it wasn't real meat, and of course Skry was happy because no animals had to die for his dinner.

Since we moved to Christchurch we have pretty much given up cooking together, and although our crappy kitchen is one factor, the lack of Quorn is another. I don't want to experiment to find out what vegetables I can eat - I'll do that in my own time. And of course I could not ask Skry to start eating meat again. Tofu is just about bearable, but nowhere near as meat-like or versatile.

Come on MAF, let us have our Quorn! Do you really, honestly think that it's a danger to the native ecology just because it started life as a mushroom?

10 comments:

laura said...

Quorn is awesome. I didn't even know it existed until I went to Dublin. I'm enjoying your series on Things New Zealand Doesn't Have. I'd be interested to see its sister series: Things Ireland Doesn't Have :)

Jenny said...

Things Ireland Doesn't Have would be far too easy.

- sunshine
- mountains (proper ones)
- ski resorts
- Maori people
- Maori language
- Kiwis
- kiwis
- L & P
- proximity to Fiji, Tonga, and other exotic-sounding islands
- two islands
- hot weather in January

Should I go on? :)

Anonymous said...

How dare you Jen!!
You are touching a raw nerve here
We DO have mountains here, lovely ones, nice soft heathery brackeny ones.
I haven't seen the NZ mts, maybe they are more majestic, but please don't say we haven't proper mts. over here.
Of course, some people spend more time touring abroad than in their home country!

Jenny said...

Sorry Mum! *hangs head*

Ireland does have mountains, they just aren't the big towering Alps-style ones (which I incorrectly described as "proper" mountains).

Anonymous said...

Ok, forgive you, but hope your Geography teacher doesn't read your blog!

Anonymous said...

Hear hear Jenny's mum!

laura said...

One important thing NZ doesn't have is Bulmers/Magners cider. This makes me very sad. You can only get the gross English Bulmers here, which just isn't the same at all.

Jenny said...

This much is true - but I was always more of a Strongbow fan anyway, and I find that Harvest is very palatable.

The best cider I've tried here is called Nally's. It's made in Invercargill. Good stuff.

Skry said...

We do have some of those things:
1. sunshine - most young people, when old people are talking about them. "Watch your mouth, sunshine!"
2. mountains (proper ones) - think we have that one covered...
3. ski resorts - Knockbracken Dry Ski Slope
4. Maori people - there's bound to be at least one!
5. Maori language - see above point.
6. kiwis - available everywhere...
7. proximity to Fiji, Tonga, and other exotic-sounding islands - we do have that, it's just that when you think of Ibiza and other islands you think of the people who go there and not how nice the place is. But we have Gibraltar, Sicily, Cyprus and more. And don't forget we're close to a ton of countries which we can get to very cheaply.
8. two islands - Sinn Fein would disagree with you there!

OK so I can't help with the Kiwis (by which I presume you mean birds), L & P or hot weather in January. But we do have hamsters, cream soda and a lovely green country :D

Skry said...

Oh yeah, and I also miss Quorn :-(