Saturday, November 08, 2008

NZ Elections

The general election was today, and I didn't vote. Does that make me a bad person? Women fought and died in order to give me the right to vote, and I'm not using it.

In my defence, the reason that I didn't vote was that I don't feel like I have enough understanding of the issues in New Zealand yet. We have been here for less than a year, and I haven't been paying much attention to things that don't involve my job/holidays/house/husband/chickens (in no particular order).  Who am I to make a decision on behalf of the rest of the country about whether Helen or John or somebody else should be in charge? How can I make a decision to support the Maori Party or the Green Party or New Zealand First or any of the others? I'm not even sure of their names, let alone what they stand for.

The election results are mostly in, and it looks like National (John Key's party) have won. But I have no idea what that means... I'm still glad I didn't vote, because I do not have the ability to make an informed decision, but I hope to be in a different position next time a general election comes around.

7 comments:

Phil said...

John Key is a muppet but he's managed to pull the wool over a lot of Kiwi's eyes. They'll wish they had voted Clark in for a 4th term when Key starts hammering in the nails.

Skry said...

There are a lot of parties here to choose from, some silly (The Bill And Ben Party), some serious (The Libertarianz) and some you just never know how to take them (The Aotearoa Legalise Cannabis Party).

I think we'll be here a lot longer before we work out who we like and who we think deserves our vote.

Anonymous said...

Just out of interest, did you vote when you were at home?

Jenny said...

I voted once in Ireland and then gave it up as a pointless exercise. I didn't care who won because they all seemed as bad as each other.

If a referendum came up on something I cared about, I would definitely vote on that, but general elections just turn me off.

Skry said...

Jenny

Turnons: long walks on the beach, sunsets, romantic walks.

Turnoffs: elections

Anonymous said...

Phil nailed it, except that he forgot to add that John Key is a smarmy arse.

laura said...

I second the smarmy arse comment!!