Thursday, February 28, 2008

Back in the office

Today was my second day in the office. I have already realised that I don't much like being back at work! At least, not working for other people. I don't mind putting in long hours and a hard slog when it's for my own benefit, but I'd forgotten just how pointless it seems to be working for somebody else. But the long-term plan is to get back into self employment in some form or other, and right now I'm glad to be working for what seems to be a decent company and in a decent role. It sucks to be back in the old routine again, but it would suck a whole lot harder if I didn't have work, so I'm not complaining!

Skry and I move into our new rental place on Saturday morning. We already bought a new three-piece suite and a bed for it, since we don't have either of those things being shipped over, so I hope all the furniture fits in okay. It's a nice, newly decorated 3-storey 3-bedroom townhouse, so it is quite spacious, but rooms always look bigger when they're empty. Oh well, if there's no room for the dining table then I will happily eat off my lap as I recline in the fully adjustable reclining armchair with footrest thingy and lovely soft stuffing. It'll be a sacrifice, but I'll try to cope...

And in another piece of good news, our imported goods (almost the entire contents of my house, plus lots of Skry's things) passed MAF inspection, meaning that even my unwashed bicycle and wicker basket weren't deemed to be a threat to the eco-system here. We have been charged NZ$245 for the inspection, so I suppose MAF opened and went through several boxes, but my bike is worth way more than that and it was the thing I was most worried about. If all goes well now with Customs, we should have our furniture and all our personal possessions delivered to the new house on Tuesday. That'll be so great!

No comments: