Saturday, January 12, 2008

Firemen and old cars

Today was an absolute scorcher - 33c according to the news, and it certainly felt that hot. Lou was at work, so Skry, Phil and I took a stroll into town. The guys were doing their own thing, and I headed to Cathedral Square, where there was a Firefighter Combat Challenge event going on. "The toughest 2 minutes in sport", according to the t-shirts that I saw here and there. I don't know if this is a common event or something that everyone else is familiar with, but I'd never heard of it before anyway. In this sweltering heat, relay teams of uniformed firemen were dragging hoses up flights of stairs, hauling weights up to the top, hammering things, running with hoses around obstacle courses, and dragging dummies hither and yon. I don't know how they could bear it in that heat, but everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves anyway.

New Zealand has a large population of very old cars. I think the weather here, and the fact that they don't salt the roads in wintertime, means that cars don't rust as quickly as they do in Ireland, and seem to have much longer lifespans. Although the sensible, practical side of me knows that I really want a car that's reliable, comfortable, and has air conditioning, it would be so cool to be driving around in something that's way older than I am. Maybe someday I'll have one of these in the garage!

No comments: